About 30 years before the turn of the century in Logansport, LA., February 22, a daughter was born to Mr. and Mrs. Henry Carter Adams. She was named Eliza Jane. There in the parishes of Louisiana she received her early education, later attending college in Texas and Washington, D.C. She taught school in Benton Parish and throughout the State of Louisiana. She was united in Holy wedlock with S.H. Ralph, 87, they taught private school together for a number of years, and after the death of her husband, her interest was directed to the religious field. She attended a school of Religion in Washington, D.C.
In the early 1900’s she and a few relatives came to Oklahoma to live, and here she united with the Church of the Living God, C.W.F.F., in Oklahoma City. In 1916 she ventured again in matrimony, with the late Brother E.D. Smith, who proceeded her in death.
Being an organizer and a leader and seeing the need of the women being organized in her local temple to work for the Lord. In 1920 she reorganized the Mission, with the late Sister Cora Parker and a few other faithful members. They added to the roll as the women came in until enough was there to properly organize. Miss’y. Smith was elected president. She worked untiringly to make the Mission what it should be adding various committees as the membership increased.
In August 1921 she held her first Board meeting of the Mission Department. She never failed to admonish her followers, to press forward and work while it is still day, for when night comes no man can work. Work to save your soul and the souls of others. The Mission grew under her leadership, she served a number of years as State President.
As the National work progressed a thought was conceived and materialized that with the combined forces of the Mission and Evangelist Board, these organizations would become stronger and do a more effective work. In 1937 they were combined and the Women’s Work Auxiliary was formed, including all church women’s organizations. Missionary Smith was elected to head this organization or Auxiliary, thus becoming the first National President of the Women’s Work.
President Smith had a vision of the potentials of this great organization. She ruled in the beginning that each District or State President would report to the National meeting with $30.00, as their budget. $25.00 was to be given to the treasurer of the National Assembly and $5.00 to the treasurer of the National Women’s Work. In the last meeting she presided in at Little Rock, Arkansas, the Women’s department reported $324.01. She was very happy for her dreams were coming into realization.
Missionary Smith had the characteristics of a Christian Women, she was humble, easy entreated, obedient to those who had rule over her, always ready to help those in need. She was a friend to all ministers helping them to press forward to a mark of a higher calling in the Lord. Some of the ministers helped to encourage, and have achieved much in the religious field, are Bishop F.C. Scott, Chief of our Brotherhood, Bishop A.B. Williams, who presides over the Church of the Living God—P.G.& T., Overseer T.A. McDaniel and many others. Many women and laymen took her instructions and ever pressed forward, as God led the way.
Missionary E.D. Smith passed from labor to await the great Resurrection, February 1943. Her funeral was held March 4, 1943, at Temple No. 53, Tulsa, Oklahoma. Interment was March 5, 1943 at Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.
In Indianapolis, Indiana 1954 at the National Assembly, the Executive Board granted the Women’s Work Auxiliary permission to set up the first fifth Sunday of the year to be observed as “E.D. Smith Day” in memory of our First National President of this Auxiliary. Rules governing this day is set up by the National Women’s Work .
All Temples are asked to observe this day.
“Lives of great men oft’ remind us
We too can make our lives sublime,
And departing leave behind us
Foot prints on the sand of time.”
CHURCH OF THE LIVING GOD C.W.F.F.
CHURCH OF THE LIVING GOD C.W.F.F. NATIONAL BROTHERHOOD All rights reserved